Do you know how to use a dog training collar? This is a frequently asked question by pet lovers.
Some pet parents don’t like training collars but a lot of people don’t feel any hesitation. Do you like dog training collars?
Every dog keeper who wants to train his best friend should have to know the best use of a dog training collar. The way that not annoy your canine.
Whenever someone says that collars are brutal to use then I simply ask them; do you know how to use a dog training collar?
Believe me, most of them don’t know how to use training collars. No doubt, there are certain problems but we can avoid them using the actual way.
After reading this writing, I assure you that a lot of misconceptions will be cleared about the use of training collars.
How to use Prong Collars?
Prong collars are a helpful tool for better control and safety of your pet. These collars consist of metal links joint together. These metallic links are adjustable and very simple to attach and detach according to the size you require.
Prong collars have an edge over other collars as they distribute the whole pressure of pull around their neck, unlike all other collars.
Some people think these collars harm your canine giving him excessive pain but believe me, it all depends upon yourself. If your canine makes the moments annoying when you want to play with him then you should have to go with prong collar for its training.
- Be fully acknowledged about the proper use and its method.
- Know the purposes behind the usage of prong collars; safety and correction.
- Not use if your pooch is already responding well to your commands.
Do you want to try prong collar?
If you really want to use this helping tool, just follow these steps:
- Keep in mind the collar should be properly fit to your canine’s neck. It must neither snug too much as to choke your canine nor it should be too loose to slip out of its neck.
- When you put a prong collar in your dog’s neck, don’t keep it at the base of your dog’s neck as your dog has greater strength here and can pull it easily. The best position for that collar is right below the ears of your pooch at the jawline.
This gives you better control over your pooch. Is it in your control?
- The next step is how to introduce a prong collar politely to your pet. It is so much easy. Just put the collar in its neck and give it a gentle pull as much as your pooch turns in the direction of pull.
Remember through this step you are giving your pooch a sensation, if your canine feels any pain, it will no longer wear that kind of collars.
- In the next step, you have to teach your four-legged companion how to walk and stop using a prong collar. Just walk with your canine and stop suddenly. Your pooch will move forward a bit but will stop as the collar exerts pressure.
This step will give your pooch a signal to follow you. It will not stop if you do not do this training properly.
Behold that, your hand should be static not moving, this resonates with your canine that you are doing nothing wrong but it is your friend itself.
These simple steps are very useful if you want to use a prong collar.
How to use E-Collars?
E-Collars are purely a modern invention. Although many dogs keeper confused weather to use these collars or not yet these can be a very helpful and effective tool in order to control your naughty canine for its own safety.
These collars have a wireless walkie talkie and a box with two prongs attached with a collar. When you press the button, your pooch gets a vibration type static shock.
These collars are also called Electronic Collars and can be life-saving in some critical situations.
You should just learn the proper use of these collars. Here are some important suggestions if you want to use these collars;
- The most important thing is the size of the collar. You know these collars have prongs to deliver the shock. You have to buy a perfect and fit collar whose prongs just touch your pet’s neck.
- Then you have to make your pooch accustomed to that collar as it feels comfortable with the collar. You should walk and play with your canine wearing this collar in order to give him a perception that this collar is its companion.
- After that, you must start the proper use of E-Collar with the lowest stimulus. You have to choose the minimum level of shock which your canine can feel.
- Afterward, just take the start of your dog’s training with the basic command that he is already familiar with. For example, “sit”. Say your canine “sit” and give it a vibration through collar until it sits.
- Always give your pooch a positive reinforcement and treat whenever it obeys your command. You can also praise your dog verbally.
How do you praise your canine?
- Behold that you must use E-collar along with verbal commands that your canine is familiar with.
Keep following these steps. I assure you, E-Collar will make your canine’s life safe.
How to use Martingale dog Collar
These collars are also well known these days also known as limited pressure collars. Martingular collars are just like the simple flat collars but with a little bit more addition.
They have an extra loop that is connected with metal rings to the main collar.
These collars are also available in different sizes and fashions.
Martingular collars are safer and give you extra control over your canine because of a smaller loop.
Your pooch gets more pressure whenever it pulls back or tries to slip out of it. That enables you to control your hound easily. Due to extra contraction, these collars do not allow your dog to come out of it.
For what breeds martingale collars are designed?
Martingular collars are designed especially for dogs having small size heads. For example, Sighthounds, Greyhounds and Rescue dogs, as they have thin heads and necks because for that reason it does not slip out of your pet’s neck.
Martigular collars can also be used for dogs who fear from leash or unhabitual of pulling. These collars stop them because of their larger pressure.
So, overall these collars are safe as they exert a limited pressure on the neck not to choke it completely.
How to use it?
Following these instructions you can use Martingular collar properly;
- Choose a perfect sized collar for your pet. Now the question is;
how to measure your dog’s neck?
Remember that most people do mistake measuring the size. The important thing is if your pet’s neck is larger than its head then you have to measure its neck size and if the head is bigger then always measure its head.
- After getting the right collar for your pooch, the next step is how to adjust it. You have to adjust the collar in such a way that it is neither too loose nor too snug to choke your pet’s neck.
- Just slide in the collar over your dog’s neck. It should be loose enough that your fingers can get through it easily.
- If the collar has a buckle, just open the buckle and put it in your canine’s neck.
- The position of the collar also matters a lot. The right position is high up the neck just behind the ears. This gives you perfect control.
- Then attach a leash to D-Ring.
Keep in mind, you should not pull continuously as it causes constant pressure and can give your pooch a bit of pain. Just a single tug on a leash is better to control your pet.
How to use Flat Collars
Flat collars or regular collars are the simplest dog collars. These collars consist of a belt and a buckle to adjust the size.
Nowadays, you can also find flat collars with two buckles; first to adjust the size of the collar and second to put the collar off and on your pet’s neck.
There is a D-ring to attach a leash. You can also hang different tags, medical cards and fashionable names to these collars.
These collars are considered best for daily use because you can adjust these collars easily. These collars are available in a large variety of size and material so you can easily choose a collar which suits your canine.
Essential instructions to use a flat collar?
- The first and foremost step is how to get a perfect measurement? You can take measurements with soft and flexible measurement tape easily or take a string and measure your pet’s neck. Then lay down the string straight and measure its length.
- If you don’t get a perfect size i.e, you get confused between two perfect sizes like 16 and 17. In this situation, you can order a custom-sized collar for canines.
- Use “two fingers rule” for a perfect collar. The collar should be snug as your two fingers can slide between the neck and the collar easily. It should feel a little bit tight to your fingers.
- If you will pull your pooch wearing a flat collar then you are at a big mistake. In this way, you are actually teaching your pooch to pull back.
- Another point that you must put off the collar while your canine is playing with other dogs.
You must follow the instructions manual properly whenever you want to use a dog training collar.
However, If you still don’t understand, then you must consult with someone professional or at least with anyone who is familiar to use these collars.
In my opinion, you are the trainer of your pooch and you must have knowledge about the collar you want to use for your canine.
Because now, there are a lot of new brands and modern collars available in the market. keep yourself in touch with these items and collect comprehensive information before using it.
Hopefully, you have got a full perception of the query, how to use a dog training collar?