Tiny and precious Chihuahuas are one of the best breeds of dogs to raise in small spaces. They are short and adorable yet fun and active to play with. Their sassy attitude combined with cute tactics makes them the most beautiful dog to own.
While most people do not know this, Chihuahuas are of many types, not just one. The types of Chihuahua are not as well-known due to their similar appearance, but if you look closely, you can easily spot the difference. Here is our guide to some of the best types of Chihuahuas to adopt.
- Fun Facts About Chihuahuas
- Types Of Chihuahuas
- Types Of Chihuahua Based On Their Coat
- Types Of Chihuahua Based On Their Head Shape
- Types of Chihuahua Based on Their Color
- Types Of Chihuahua Based On Their Ears
- Do You Feel Helpless To Control Your Dog?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Fun Facts About Chihuahuas
Before we dive into the mixes and types of Chihuahua, let’s look at some fun facts about Chihuahuas. Most people only know how petite yet aggressive these little puppies are, but they have some interesting facts and history and most people are unaware of.
Here Are Some Of The Facts About All Types Of Chihuahua
- Their breed is one of the oldest breeds and appeared in historical events. Chihuahuas may have been of Chinese descent and are one of the oldest breeds of dogs. They can be found in historical scriptures of Mexico and get celebrated there too.
- Chihuahuas are intelligent. Even though they might look like other toy dog breeds, they are much smarter than other dogs. It also explains their sassy behavior at times.
- They are some of the smallest dogs in the world and are very petite. The types of Chihuahuas breeds are some of the smallest dogs ever, and even the smallest dog in the world was a Chihuahua.
- They are ideal for even small spaces. While pet owners struggle with keeping bigger or more active dogs well in apartments, dogs like Chihuahuas fit right into the environment. They are highly suitable for small spaces or urban living.
- They come in the Top 30 most popular and loved dog breeds of all time. Since these puppies are very small and their care is relatively easier, they are popular.
- They require less maintenance and care. Since they are smaller in size, Chihuahua does not require as much maintenance. You only need to carefully brush their teeth and bathe them every once in a while.
- Officially, there are only two types of Chihuahua. In most places, you would only see the types of Chihuahua coats as the difference in Chihuahua, leading to two types: Long-hair and smooth coat Chihuahuas.
- Chihuahuas have a long lifespan. Chihuahuas usually have a lifespan of 13-16 years which is quite a lot for such a small puppy.
- Chihuahuas are very expressive. Types of Chihuahua are known to be some of the sassiest puppies ever, and true to their image, they have quite the temper. They are known for being the scariest dogs, but the aggression mostly only comes out when they feel intimidated or threatened.
- Chihuahuas are very loyal to their owners. Even though their snappy behavior might seem intense, they only show such behavior to strangers who feel like threats. They are very loving with their owners and love playing around.
Types Of Chihuahuas
Many people who are unfamiliar with Chihuahuas might think that all kinds look similar to one another. But this is not true, and there are various features and characteristics of Chihuahuas that are different in each kind.
These different characteristics make the types of Chihuahua unique. You may not grasp the different types right away. But if you pay close attention, you can spot the differences between the various kinds. The difference is usually in the puppy’s physical features and looks. So you can read the guide and choose the type of Chihuahua that appeals to you the most.
Another thing to note is that these pups might all be Chihuahuas, but they have different requirements for their care. With varying types of Chihuahua, there are slight differences in behavior and care. We will divide the types of Chihuahua into further subcategories to make them easier to understand.
Types Of Chihuahua Based On Their Coat
As mentioned above, there are only two official types of Chihuahua currently. They are the long-haired Chihuahuas and Smooth Coat or Short-Haired Chihuahuas. As the name suggests, the main difference between the two types is that their coat differs.
Apart from the distinct physical appearance, there are only minor differences. These types are also the easiest types of Chihuahua to differentiate due to their coat length. Here are the two types of Chihuahua based on their coat:
Smooth Coat or Short Haired Chihuahua
The most popular type of Chihuahua, the smooth coat Chihuahuas, have short fur. They are possibly the most commonly bought and recognized types of Chihuahua around the world. Whenever you mention a Chihuahua to anyone, this is quite possibly the first puppy they will think of.
Since Chihuahuas have been living in hotter and tropical climates, they naturally have shorter fur. The short fur helps them deal with the heat and endure living in jungles or places with heat and humidity.
These types of Chihuahua also do not require much care due to their short fur and almost no grooming. They are very popular with dog owners and have the same characteristics as Chihuahuas, as mentioned above. Only these two types of Chihuahua have gotten recognized by the American Kennel Club as of now, but we can expect the recognition of other types soon.
- Smooth Coat Chihuahuas have shorter fur and can endure hotter climates well.
- They do not require much grooming or maintenance.
- Their fur or undercoat sheds quite a lot. Sometimes, their undercoat sheds even more than that of a long-haired Chihuahua.
- Ensure that you bathe your short-haired Chihuahua regularly. The short fur might look like it doesn’t require much cleaning, but these types of Chihuahua are prone to getting ticks in their fur.
- Give your puppy medication for avoiding ticks in the fur. Even with a short coat, these Chihuahuas can develop ticks in humid weather.
- Do not let them play in the sun too much. Since their skin is more exposed and a covering layer is absent, they may get sunburnt just like we do.
- Keep the puppies well hydrated, especially if they are very active and in hotter climates.
- You do not need much grooming for this type to clean them every once in a while.
Long Haired Chihuahua
Just as the name suggests, long-haired Chihuahuas are the types of Chihuahua who have a longer coat and fur. While short-haired Chihuahuas have a slightly rougher or harder coat due to their density, it’s the opposite with long-haired varieties.
Long-haired Chihuahuas have very soft fur that immediately attracts you to pet the puppy. Their fur is smooth and remains that way if they get bathed and combed well. They require more care than short-haired Chihuahuas.
They are less popular than smooth coat Chihuahuas, but let’s be honest, aren’t they just adorable. Their fur grows for up to three years and then stops growing, so grooming might not be necessary for them. Just brushing frequently is enough.
- Long-haired Chihuahuas have longer fur and smooth and shiny hair.
- They require more maintenance than the smooth coat Chihuahuas.
- They do not shed quite as much as smooth coat Chihuahuas even though they have longer fur.
- You must brush your long-haired Chihuahua regularly. Their hair must get brushed every day or at few day intervals. Brushing is essential to avoid any tangling in the hair.
- You should also bathe them regularly and ensure that they stay clean.
- You could groom or cut their hair, but it is not a necessary step. Once their hair has reached a fixed length, it doesn’t grow beyond that. So grooming isn’t essential.
- You should also take care of the exercise you do with these pups and keep them active.
- Make sure to train them and socialize them at a younger age to fight off unnecessary aggression.
Types Of Chihuahua Based On Their Head Shape
Apart from the two most common types of Chihuahua recognized by the AKC, there are other types of Chihuahua based on their physical characteristics. One of these characteristics is the head shape of the Chihuahua.
There are three types of Chihuahuas heads that you can find currently. All these types of Chihuahua have slightly different shapes and, consequently, different caring methods.
Deer Headed Chihuahua
The deer-headed Chihuahuas have a longer and narrower head, like that of a deer. It is different from the usual round head of Chihuahuas, and you will be able to spot the difference immediately. They look more similar to other larger dogs as compared to other head shapes.
But deer-headed Chihuahuas cannot participate in dog competitions. An apple-headed Chihuahua would be better if you want to participate in dog competitions. The overall look of these dogs is quite similar to that of a deer. They have a long head, big eyes, and longer limbs, making them similar to deer.
- Deer-headed Chihuahuas have longer and narrower heads than other Chihuahuas.
- They are less prone to health issues due to their regular head shape.
- They have long limbs and an ideal head-to-body size ratio.
- You must take care of these deer-headed Chihuahuas as you would do for any other type.
- Additionally, they have lesser health problems, so you do not have to be concerned about them as much.
- They are slightly more friendly not as scared of other people and animals as regular Chihuahuas.
Pear Headed Chihuahua
The pear-headed Chihuahuas are one of the rarer types of Chihuahua. They look almost like a mix of both apple-headed Chihuahua and deer-headed Chihuahua. True to their features, the pear-headed Chihuahuas are often a result of an apple-headed Chihuahua and deer-headed Chihuahua mating.
These types of Chihuahuas are similar to the apple-headed Chihuahuas and have only slightly different features. Their head is flatter than an apple-headed Chihuahua, but their nose is larger and protruded more than deer-headed Chihuahuas.
They also do not perform very well in competitions against regular Chihuahuas. Their head shape makes them unfit for dog competitions.
- They have a slightly narrow but flat head shape.
- They have a more protruded nose that is also large.
- Their health conditions and behavior are strikingly similar to apple-headed Chihuahuas.
- You must ensure that you take great care of their health. Due to being similar to apple-headed Chihuahuas, they might be prone to health issues.
- You should groom and clean them just like you would do for any other Chihuahua puppy.
Apple Headed Chihuahua
Out of all the types of Chihuahua, apple-head Chihuahuas are the most common and popular. They have round and almost apple shape heads with large eyes. When you think of a Chihuahua, an apple-head Chihuahua would be the first type to come to mind.
Their head shape is usually because of their large brains, and thus it looks so round. Combined with their relatively shorter limbs and larger eyes, they look like you would imagine a Chihuahua to look.
But their bigger head and eyes make them prone to multiple health problems, so you need to look out for them in your dog.
- Their head is rounder and larger and resembles the shape of an apple.
- They also have round and sometimes very protruding eyes.
- They have relatively shorter limbs, and their head looks larger in proportion.
- You must bathe and groom them as you would do for any other type of Chihuahua.
- You must take extra care to detect any inconveniences or problems your puppy might have due to its large head and eyes.
- You should take your dog to the vet and check if they have hydrocephalus or not since they are prone to it.
Types of Chihuahua Based on Their Color
Chihuahuas come in all varieties of colors and are usually very adorable dogs. The types of Chihuahua colors are too many to cover them all, but let’s look at some of the more popular and rarer colors found in Chihuahuas.
Another thing to note is that these types of Chihuahua differ only based on color, and there are not specific care instructions for them. You must refer to the types of Chihuahua from the category. It will help you understand what routines you should do regardless of the color of your puppy.
They are rarer types of Chihuahua and look unique. You will be able to identify them at one glance. They have a unique pattern with small dots and patches of black or blue color over their coat. If you had to compare their appearance, they would look slightly like Dalmatians with darker patches all over their body.
However, they might look exquisite, but they are prone to health risks. Especially two Merle Chihuahuas should never mate as it would lead to major health problems in the puppy.
As the name states, these types of Chihuahua look bluish. The color won’t be bright blue, but you could see a bluish tint on certain body parts. Usually, the tint is where the skin is exposed, such as the nose, eye rims, or lips.
They would look black-colored, but their blue tint will become visible if you look carefully. The tint will also be easily visible under sunlight or bright lighting.
One of the most popular colors in Chihuahuas, the fawn Chihuahuas look adorable. The color of the fur is brownish with a lovely red undertone. They usually have brownish fur, which also has reddish undertones.
They are popular because the color looks attractive, and they look cute in both head shapes.
Pure White Chihuahua
One of the rarest types of Chihuahua colors, pure white Chihuahuas, is very difficult to find. They are also super expensive, even if you do manage to find them. By white Chihuahuas, it does not mean white Chihuahuas with other colors. Pure white Chihuahuas have only white fur and no other color.
They look uniformly white, and their fur makes them look exquisite. They are expensive, but people still like to have them as they look regal.
Pure Black Chihuahua
Just like pure white Chihuahuas, pure black Chihuahuas are extremely difficult to find. You can easily find dogs that are black but have other colors’ marking on their body. But pure black types of Chihuahua are not as readily available.
And due to their rarity, they are also on the expensive side. Nevertheless, people do spend a lot on such pure colored puppies.
Types Of Chihuahua Based On Their Ears
Apart from their large and endearing eyes and small size, Chihuahuas also have large ears. They are an attractive feature of the Chihuahua, but sometimes their kind differs too. Types of Chihuahua ears also have two kinds.
Unlike other types of Chihuahua categories, these might not necessarily be a result of natural features. Here are the two types of ears in Chihuahuas.
Regular Ear Chihuahuas
Chihuahuas with regular-shaped ears are those whose ears stand up when they are excited or curious. Well-fed Chihuahuas who get proper nutrition usually have regular ears without any problems. These ears stand up whenever they get happy or require attention.
Naturally, the process of developing cartilages in the ears takes nearly five weeks. Before that, if the puppy’s ears are droopy, then it is natural.
Floppy Ear Chihuahua
Some puppies have floppy or droopy ears. Mostly, it is during a short period due to the teething stage. The pain and process lead the ears to stay droopy before they become erect again. Sometimes, mixed-breeds have droopy ears because of the other breed.
But an unnatural and harmful cause for droopy ears might be anxiety or stress. If your Chihuahua had erect ears, but they became droopy recently, you might need dog beds for anxiety. You might require other methods which will fight the stress for the puppy.
Try to find out the cause of this stress and reduce it as much as you can. You can also buy products like a calming dog bed or calming treats to reduce such phenomena.
There are multiple types of Chihuahuas mixes in the market right now, and these mixes combine the traits of Chihuahuas and another breed of dog to create a puppy with both qualities. These mixes with Chihuahuas have gained popularity recently.
The types of Chihuahuas mixes are quite diverse and result in unique and adorable puppies which will make you fall in love. Let us look at some of the popular Chihuahua mixed breeds.
Chug (Chihuahua and Pug Mix)
These petite puppies are arguably the cutest mixed types of Chihuahua. They are cute and tiny in size, and they don’t even require many activities. They prefer to stay at home and get extremely close with their owners. They are on the lazier side and would much rather lounge in than go out and be active. These dogs are the perfect match for people who cannot or do not want to move outside.
French Bullhuahua (Chihuahua and French Bulldog mix)
They are sociable dogs due to both breeds being very enthusiastic and people-loving. They require attention, but if you are a family, it won’t be a problem. They are also not that big in size and playful. They might look slightly intimidating, but they are absolute sweethearts once you get to know them.
Chimeranian (Chihuahua and Pomeranian mix)
They are extremely active and very playful dogs who love hanging out with people. They have a beautiful fur coat which makes them look fluffy and cute. They are adorable just to look at, but they also love running around and are perfect for active individuals. They generally socialize well with families but may be stubborn at times.
Chi-Poo (Chihuahua and Poodle mix)
They are puppies that are very patient and calm even though they are overflowing with energy. They are almost like a mature version of both breeds and are easy to care for. They will fit well with people who might not have much time to play with them as they can have fun even when alone. Also, they have the patience of a saint and are compliant and understanding for people who might not find as much time in their schedules to play with them.
Chi-Spaniel (Chihuahua and Cocker Spaniel mix)
They are among the calmest types of Chihuahua mixed breeds and are usually less vocal than other breeds. They are social and loyal to their owners. They love to show affection and get attention from their owners. But they are energetic to you must take them out for walks or runs daily to ensure ample exercising.
Do You Feel Helpless To Control Your Dog?
Turn Your Dog Into A Genius
Develop your Dog’s “Hidden Intelligence” To eliminate bad behavior and Create the obedient, well-behaved pet of your dreams…
Who Needs This Secret to use your dog’s natural intelligence to stop bad behavior? Does any of the following sound familiar…
👉 Your dog doesn’t listen to you
👉 You need to train a new Puppy
👉 Your dog barks uncontrollably
👉 Your Dog is pulling on the leash
👉 Your Dog is aggressive
👉 Your Dog is chewing things he shouldn’t
👉 Your Dog is digging all the time
👉 Your Dog is Jumping up
👉 You’re frustrated with your dog
👉 You may even regret getting your Dog
👉 You’re worried you might have to give up your Dog because of behavior problems you can’t handle
👉 You feel helpless to control your dog
👉 You tell your Dog ‘no’ with no success
👉 Your dog gets overexcited and is hard to settle down
👉 Your Dog is whining constantly
👉 Your dog has a fear of certain sounds or stimuli or suffers from anxiety
👉 You want a dog who obeys you
👉 You want a better bond with your dog
👉 You want less stress
Turn Your Dog into a Genius
Curing Maggie’s Jumping
Curing Sadie’s Whining
The Airplane Game
Frequently Asked Questions
Chihuahuas are some of the most adorable and tiny dogs ever. Their petite size might make you think they are quite little puppies, but they pack quite the punch. They are active and vocal and sometimes aggressive.
There are many types of Chihuahua still unknown to people, but our list contains most types of them. You could see the characteristic of each type and decide which little puppy is the best fit for you. Then you can get these tiny companions to accompany you on your life’s journey.