As dog lovers, we always have some concerns about what is good and not so good for our pets. Especially a dog’s diet needs close monitoring. And one such question which I often had was Can dogs eat bananas?
The short answer is Yes! Our dogs can enjoy bananas but in moderation.
Banana is delicious with its beneficial fiber, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins. Moreover, it is low in calories and an excellent alternative to fatty, salty treats. But we need to keep in mind that it has high sugar content. So, it can be beneficial if given to pups as a treat but not a part of their regular diet.
- Can Dogs Eat Bananas? Is Banana Good for Dogs?
- How much of a banana can a dog eat?
- How to serve Bananas to your Dog?
- Peanut butter and Bananas Recipe for Dogs
- When are Bananas bad for Dogs?
- Can Dog eat Bananas peel?
- What should you do if your dog accidentally eats Bananas peel?
- Can Dogs eat frozen Bananas?
- Are dehydrated and dried Bananas beneficial for dogs?
- Benefit of eating dried Bananas
- Can Dogs eat Banana bread?
- Pros and Cons (Can dogs eat Bananas)
Can Dogs Eat Bananas? Is Banana Good for Dogs?
Bananas are very sweet in taste and when we were a kid and dad took bananas home. We eat three to four bananas at once because of their good taste.
Banana contains a lot of essential nutrients like vitamins and potassium and they are very good for the health of a dog.
It is a low-calorie diet for your dog. The quantity of cholesterol is low in bananas. It also has low sodium content. But you should not give these bananas as a regular diet to your dog like other fruits.
How much of a banana can a dog eat?
As you know everything in excess is bad for health and we go through many different problems. The banana itself is not a healthy balanced diet for dogs, so it should be given to your dog an occasional treat. If you want to give your dog bananas, then follow some instructions.
1) A half medium-sized banana should be given to a dog each day.
2) If your dog is small like a puppy then serve two to three pieces to them.
If the balance is out, then certain digestive issues will occur and you suddenly have to call your veterinarian to resolve the issue.
How to serve Bananas to your Dog?
Serving is an art and not everyone will know it. As you know serving enhances the beauty of the food and we crave more for food because it looks tastier and yummier. So here are some serving ways to adopt so, that you will enjoy a healthy snack.
Peanut butter and Bananas Recipe for Dogs
Food in different recipes is tastier and yummiest and people love to eat them. Likewise, for the dogs, adding some ingredients to bananas will enhance the taste of the food. So, follow the recipe and give your dog a treat. There are different ingredients that will be added:
- Oat flour
- Coconut Flakes
- Mashed Bananas
- Peanut Butter
So mix all these ingredients in a bowl for five minutes. Make the balls of the mixture and placed them on the baking sheet. Press the balls with the spoons and then bake this for 40-45 minutes. Cool down and serve it to your dog.
When are Bananas bad for Dogs?
Fruits are not bad for the canine’s health. They are refreshers and boost up our immune system. But when we take in excess amount, it can cause a problem for health.
Bananas contain three different types of sugars, fructose, glucose, and sucrose. If these sugars are ingested in huge amounts, it can lead to weight gain and eventually leads to diabetes.
Keep the sugar content balanced so that your dog remains healthy or you should feed a healthy commercially prepared diet to your canine.
Too many bananas can lead to constipation in dogs. If your dog feels discomfort then contact your veterinarian.
If you have a giant dog then you should surely go with its specific diet for better health.
Can Dog eat Bananas peel?
Animals have a strong digestive system than humans so they easily chew the peel and core and digest them to some extent. If your dog has a weak immune system then banana peels can be damaging for the health of your dog. It can cause intestinal blockage.
Banana peels are not toxic but they are very difficult to digest. So make sure you should remove the banana peel before feeding your dog. After this entire situation a question comes to our minds:
What should you do if your dog accidentally eats Bananas peel?
Don’t be panic and don’t pull out the banana peel from your dog’s mouth. Watch them carefully and give water to your dog and call your veterinarian for a solution.
You can also feed your canine an easily digestible meal for better digestion.
Can Dogs eat frozen Bananas?
Changing the texture of the food will make it different and yummier. In the same banana, the texture would be changed if we froze them and dogs will enjoy this meal on hot summer days. They are very easy to prepare.
- Firstly froze the banana.
- Peel them.
- Cut them into pieces and serve to your dog as a treat.
Are dehydrated and dried Bananas beneficial for dogs?
If bananas chips are made in a natural form then it is an energy boost snack. Before giving banana chips to your dog, make sure that they could not contain any preservatives and additional sugars like xylitol.
Before purchasing banana chips, you should carefully see that it does not have the sugar xylitol because it is not good for your dog’s health.
Dehydrated banana chips contain essential nutrients and are good in taste and they should serve as a treat to your dog.
Benefit of eating dried Bananas
Can Dogs eat Banana bread?
Banana bread is safe to some extent. If raisins and chocolates or caramel are added to bread, then you should not give this bread to your dog. It will be bad for their health.
If banana bread does not contain any toxic ingredients like raisins then, you should give it to your dog as a safe diet.
Pros and Cons (Can dogs eat Bananas)
- Brain functions of your dog will be improved by feeding bananas. Bananas contain vitamin B6 and this helps to raise the cognitive ability.
- Potassium in Bananas strengthens the bones of the dogs and magnesium will help in muscle maintenance.
- Bone growth will be enhanced by eating bananas because it contains magnesium.
- Blood regulation of dogs will maintain after eating bananas because of the presence of vitamin B6 and potassium.
- 2.6 grams of dietary fiber is present in the medium-sized banana.
- Bananas boost up the immune system of the dogs.
- The fiber content in bananas is beneficial if given in a balanced amount. But it can leads to constipation if your dog eats too many bananas. The worse condition will be diarrhea.
- The stomach issue occurs by overfeeding bananas.
- Your dog will be obese after eating too many bananas.
- If intake of banana will exceed to 10% of total calories to dogs, then it would be unhealthy.
I would like to conclude the discussion about Can dogs eat bananas? I make sure you; dogs can eat it safely in a required quantity. It should serve as a nutritious treat. The peel should be removed before giving a banana to your dog because it is hard and rigid.
If you feel that your dog is suffering from nausea, vomiting, and irregular bowel movements, then immediately contact your veterinarian.
- How intelligent are the Great Pyrenees? – Pets Guide - November 11, 2022
- At What Age Should a Dog Be Potty Trained? Pets Guide - October 22, 2022
- How Long Does It Take to Potty Train a Puppy? – Pets Guide - October 22, 2022