When you train your canine by using a strict training collar you would often get offended but when your friend gives a cute look, you may think that are dog training collars cruel for the pooch?
Dog keepers often confused for that kind of questions and I think you have this query in your mind as well. Am I right?
This query creates controversy among the dog owners. It has divided the owner into two groups; one in the support of that use of technology and the other have a different point of view.
You know everything in this world is present with certain advantages and disadvantages. So, the opinion of both groups is sacred. But with proper use of technology, cruelty can be minimized.
In this article, I will try to clear that ARE DOG TRAINING COLLARS CRUEL? by discussing you about the pros and cons of that modern technological instruments and about their proper use. So, you may better understand the function of dog training collars and control their side effects.
What are dog training collars?
As you know training collar is basically used to train your best friend, teach him what to do or not. there are many dog training collars available in the market of different types and functions. For example, E.Collars, flat collars, choke chain collars, head collars, etc…
Have you ever used these training collars for your canine?
Let’s discuss some common training collars to understand their nature and find out whether these or cruel or not.
These collars are also called regular training collars. These training collars look like a simple belt buckle. It has a loop from which you can attach a leash for your pooch. You can easily attach identification and other fashionable tags to them.
Canine’s neck measurement
How would you buy a perfect flat collar for your dog if you don’t know the size of your dog’s neck? So, measure its neck first. You can fit just one or two fingers between your dog’s neck and collar. So that you can get save you canine from its collar brutal effects.
Let’s discuss its pros and cons.
- Very easy to adjust.
- The pooch can easily adjust itself with these collars.
- These collars have a lot of varieties.
- Tags and leashes can be attached easily to these collars.
- Loose collars come out of neck easily.
- A bit tight collar can choke your canine.
- These collars may get caught into fences so be careful.
In Spite of the upper mentioned disadvantages, to me, these collars have minimum risks and also you can minimise its little bit barbarousness by using it carefully.
What is the first thought that came into your mind when you hear “head collars”?
As the name implies, these collars are used at the head of your pooch. Headcollars have two straps; one around the nose and the other one around the neck just behind the ears and a ring to fasten a leash to your pet.
Let’s check out its atrociousness.
- These collars provide extra control over your hound.
- Using these collars, you can save your companion from excessive pain.
- The unmanageable and aggressive pooch can be easily controlled by children and seniors by use of head collars.
- You can easily change the direction of your friend while it charges over people or other dogs.
- Some pets hate that collars because of wearing on the head.
- Head collars can be difficult to wear on a violent dog. Sometimes you need another person to hold it.
- If It is easy to wear on then it is easy to come off as well if it is a little bit loose.
- The straps can give pain if your pet’s skin is sensitive.
So, in order to minimize it brutally choose a fit one head collar for your canine and use it properly.
Choke Chain Collars
Is your pet too aggressive to control?
If yes, then you need a choke chain training collar for your pooch. Basically, it is designated to control excessively violent or big sized hound. Choke chain collar consists of mutually linked metal chains to tighten the neck. You can control your hound easily if you use it properly.
Let’s take a look at its savageness.
- These collars apply intensive pressure and due to this reason, you can control your hound quite easily.
- Very inexpensive and fit for all sizes.
- If you don’t use choke chain collars properly, they can harm your pooch due to high pressure.
- These are metal collars so rusting is also a problem.
E-collar or a remote collar consists of a battery, a wireless remote and a small box with two prongs. These collars give a vibration or a static shock to your hound to stop something undesirable by it.
These collars are a really modern invention so we will deeply discuss E-collars, due to their use which is increasing day by day.
How to start?
It is not so simple as just buy an E-collar and use it. There are several steps you must follow otherwise either you will harm your canine or there will be no good results. So, in the case of E-Collar, the chances of atrociousness are higher.
These steps are:
Find the proper fit
It is a very important step to follow as if you buy a loose E-collar for your dog it will not fit properly and the prongs will not touch the skin of your dog. Hence no stimulus can be given to it.
On the other hand, if the collar is very tight then it will hurt your pet’s neck and sometimes it will cause sores on its skin.
Making dog familiar with the collar
It is another major step to use E-collars. After finding a proper fit collar for your canine, don’t try to use it in a haste.
First, you have to make it recognize that collar is its daily companion. You have to make your pet accustomed to your E-collar.
The best way for that purpose is to walk or play with your pooch while he has been wearing a training collar and keep collar off. Once it will recognize it a part of itself, it will be ready for training.
Start from the lowest level of training collar
Now, how you will find that low level?
When your pet will feel the vibration or shock of the training collar, it will upright its ears or starting look at you. Keep in mind it is a very essential step as if you don’t know the sensation level of your dog you may hurt him or he may become confused and aggressive.
Start with familiar basic commands
What basic commands your canine is better familiar with?
If your pet doesn’t recognize basic commands like “sit”, “stay” or “come” then please don’t use these collars. As you have to make an association of your dog with the E-collar using basic commands.
So, first, teach your hound basic commands.
You have to use this trick. For example, when you say “come” to your canine. If it comes to you then don’t tap the walkie talkie button. If you see, its attention is distracted and it doesn’t come to you then tap the button.
The vibrations or shock will make him attentive towards you. And when he starts coming towards you, stop tapping and praise like “good boy”
This is the way, you have to reinforce your pet positively using training collars.
Any reward or treat is very helpful making the training process faster.
Avoid negative reinforcement
You must pay attention to the fact that if you unconsciously reinforce your pet negatively, then E-collar will become useless.
For instance, your pooch is obeying your command and you still tapping the button then it will be called negative reinforcement.
If you do that, your pet will become confused about what is wrong and what is right?
Controlling bad behaviour
Like reinforcing good behaviour, the other use of E-collars is to control bad behaviour or undesirable behaviour of your canine.
For instance, your dog is habitual of digging holes in the soil in your backyard and you want to stop this habit. You have to wait for the right moment.
When it will start digging hole wearing collar in its neck, you must tap the button of collar remote. The vibrations will make it recognise that it is wrong. You must continue tapping until it leaves digging.
This is the way you can control the bad behaviour of your canine if you use E-collar continuously. But you must keep in mind the right moment to use a training collar.
Should E.collars be used or not?
There always has been a controversy on this query from past till now. It totally depends on you if your dog is too rude, he is not obeying even a single order then you should go for E-collar but use it carefully as it is also a living being you bought him as he would remove your loneliness and make you happy when would sad.
So, let have a look at its pros and cons.
- Some dog parents think it is a very good tool as it helps to control the bad behaviour of your pooch from distance through your walkie talkie and you don’t need to chase your pet.
- Some of them think this device is very good in horrible situations. For example, your hound chasing a deer and going towards a busy road. So, it may be a life-saving technology.
- When you don’t use training collars, you can’t off-leash your canine. So, E.collars allows you to off-leash it. It gives them a sensation of freedom.
- In the past, there were collars which were unadjustable. But now, there are modern E-collars which have adjustable shock power. So, training collars are no longer harm to your pet.
- Some pet owners think that using an E.collar is not all different from any other negative stimulus like a tug on the leash.
What is your opinion about the advantages of using training collars?
There is another point of view which is against the use of E-collars as;
- It is a cruel and inhumane activity to give a shock to a pooch as it creates pain and harms them.
- Using an E-collar does not mean any freedom. The real freedom is when your pet understands itself what to do and what not to do. But collars just compel your canine to obey the command.
What is your point of view about E-collars?
I think it is completely up to you whether you want or don’t want to use this technology. It is true that every technology has some side effects but it depends upon the use of that technology. It is not at all the technology’s fault but yours as you don’t know how to use it.
For instance, you are taking an exam in “mathematics”. You don’t know anything about it and you fail. Then is this “mathematics” which is at fault or you as you don’t have any knowledge about that?
Same is the case with E-collars. You must know the proper use of training collars before you apply it at your pooch.
Are you going with that technology or not?
You just focus on one thing that why are you purchasing training collar? With this perception, you can choose the perfect training collar for your pooch.
The most important point is that you must know the proper usage of that collar which you can get from the instruction manual available with these products.
My point of view is that not any training collar is cruel. It is its use which makes it useful or pervasive. No doubt, the risks are present but we can minimize these risks and can control our pet easily.
Anyway, the above discussion may guide you well about the question “are dog training collars cruel?”